Sunday, May 2, 2010

Dreams and Quashers

I'm curious, why is it that I'm still doing things for my parents and not for myself? Where's my drive? Is it the St. George air? I'm suffocating on it, I'm going stir crazy, and it's all going on in my head. I'm constantly thinking all these lovely thoughts or conversations, and I wonder whether or not I'll ever let them be heard, or if they'll jjust sit there in my head until they're quashed and given up on like every other aspiration.
A little while ago, we were challenged to make a dream board, and I made cut out's of things representing my goals. They consisted of getting married in the temple and having a family. Hmmm.... Where did my dreams go?! When I was little I wanted to eventually become a professional ice skater, I had a plan. I would take some gymnastics classes, then dance classes, then eventually, start training as an ice skater. But that faded quickly, eventually, I wanted to be a pop star, some amazing singer/dancer, then I wanted to act. Then be a designer Photographer. Writer. Daycare owner. Now I'm backing down to a school teacher, how many little kids do you know that spend their childhood saying, "I want to be a bank teller!" "a teacher!" " a librarian!" "I want to work in fast food!" None! so why oh why didn't I ask my parents to put me in a dance class when I was young?
I was told by my sister Anna, that I had the talent but not the technique, and I didn't find out that that was really true 'til less than two years ago, and I can't pay for dance classes when I'm trying to pay for college. So a reborn dream goes stale because money rules the world, those poor kids. We may as well tell them from the start, Santa isn't real neither is the Easter Bunny, or the tooth fairy, and there's a 1 in 1000,000,000 chance you'll make it to be any of the things you dream of, so if you don't have lots of money, talent, or drive give up now. Thank you harsh world for breaking the spirits of billions and billions of children.
Well maybe someday I will be famous, who cares what my chances are, I'll sell CDs from the back of a car, I'll leap, and pray that I can fly. Until then

-Living in different worlds, under the same stars
-Ellen Schu

No comments:

Post a Comment